Monday, December 31, 2018

1988 Catherine's Letter -Dec.30

Friday December 30, 1988
1:25pm
Dear Mother & Dad,

Hi!  I thought I'd try Faxing you another letter!  I'm pretty sure this will be the last letter you get from us this year!  There's something about knowing that you will receive this so quickly that adds to the motivation to send something.  I wonder if this is how they felt when Pony Express began?

Wendy and I went to see "The Nutcracker" put on by Arizona Ballet at Symphony Hall yesterday.  We had great seats – in the second row with no one in front of us.  We got there about half an hour early which was interesting as the guy who played Herr Drosselmeyer (sp?) was on stage at a make up table turning himself into the character.

The holiday dinner came out well but required more hours than I really wanted to spend in the kitchen.  Wendy likes the planning part and taking the credit but it seems like I get stuck with about 90% of the work.  The corn pudding came out perfectly.  I did approx. 1 & 1/2 the recipe as I had a large bag of frozen corn.  It took alot longer to cook though – I figured 45 minutes and it probably took an hour.

Gerry has to work all day tomorrow but then is off until Tuesday.  He has to do inventory of the parts department today and tomorrow as their fiscal year ends.  He is not real pleased to do this because this is a change of fiscal year ending (previously it was August 31) so he has already done inventory once in the last few months. 

Wendy's perm came out real well.  The hairdresser said she has lots of wax build up on her hair though . . . . as it gets longer and causes it not to appear as curly as it would otherwise.  So . . . we have to look for some special kind of shampoo the next time we go to the store.

I just called Roberta & Sid to see if they had any news for me to pass along.  Sid said Roberta had gone down town and he wasn't sure when she was returning but "Happy New Year" from them also.

Santa Claus was good to all of us!  Thanks for the things you contributed to the cause.  I'll save the details for the next letter when I might not have as much else to fill the page.

Business has been busier at the library this week as lots of people are on vacation and we see whole families here together  It'll be a few weeks before we can put the books in storage back out though.  Our storytimes start again Jan. 10th so that will make a big difference.

Well, we certainly hope you have a Happy New Year!  Are you going square dancing or anything particular?  Glendale is putting on Fireworks at the Park near the library so we should have a fine view from our backyard if we can stay awake long enough.  Wendy won't have any trouble but Gerry and I . . . .

Love, Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album