Saturday, December 22, 2018

1948 Jean's Letter to HH -Dec.28

New Cumberland
Tuesday
Dec. 28, 1948
My darling,

I have thought of you constantly since you left and hope you and Mrs. Horton [Aunt Mary or Bill's mother?] had a nice trip down to New Vienna.

I was at the beauty shoppe til almost one o'clock and then had a nice "walk" over to the bus station.  There I met Mrs. McGonagle waiting for the Cumberland bus so we had a nice chat the whole way up.  She told me more news about things that have been happening in New Cumberland than I have learned the whole time here.

She also told me that her daughter, Doris, who is married to the Jewish doctor, is expecting a baby.  This was quite a surprise as Doris is in her middle forties so we all hope things go well for her.  Of course, she will have excellent care and Mrs. McGonagle hopes she will have another child real soon if everything is alright for the first.

I got home before two and had a lunch which I'm sure you'd approve – vegetable soup, hard boiled egg and lettuce salad, milk and bread, butter and jelly.

Mother and I went up to see Frank Yount.  He doesn't seem anxious to do much for himself – loved to be waited upon by everyone.  Someone had given him a large box of candy and he kept demanding more.  Really I had only one piece (which was very good) and he must have had at least eight – demanding them – flat on his back & wanting his wife to feed him.  You see how easily I could be spoiled.

Mother stopped to see Mrs. McGonagle and I came on home.  Daddy was up and showed me the article on Cleveland which appears in the new Saturday Evening Post.  I read it and enjoyed it very much thinking how interested you would be in it.

Mrs. Eleanor Wares [?] Stewart and her sister Miss Lois Evans came over this evening and just left a few minutes ago.  I racked my brain to think what Mrs. Stewart had given us for a wedding gift and as yet I haven't been able to think.  Perhaps I could have taken a chance and just slurred over the word "tray" or "luncheon cloth" and hit it.  She's going back to Philadelphia tomorrow where her home is.

I do miss you very much and am anxiously awaiting your return.  It is nice for you to be with your parents and gives us both a chance to collect our thoughts.  I realize even more what a wonderful, wonderful husband I have and how anxious I am to have him back. Do hope you found all your family well.  Please thank them for me and give them the best wishes for a happy new year.

All my heart and love, "Snick"

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album