Tuesday, December 25, 2018

1948 Jean's Letter to HH -Dec.29

Wednesday
Dec. 29, 1948
My darling husband,

The time has really dragged by with you not with me and I'm anxiously counting the hours until Sunday.

We got a Christmas card today from Japan – a girl I knew slightly in library school who is an Army librarian there now.  We also received a long letter from Catherine Smith Foster (her father married us, remember?) and she knew another girl in Willow Village, Michigan whose grandmother and aunt live in New Cumberland – Mrs. Eliza Porter and Miss Mary.

Catherine also enclosed a picture of "Betsy" – Elizabeth Ann – her 2 yr-old daughter and she's really a darling – in blonde pigtails.  Obviously she wrote the letter before Christmas but she never was one to mail her letters before they aged a week or two.

Mother and Daddy got a crate of oranges from the Loughs.  Do wish you'd come up to bring them in.  I got them down at the express office.  The station-master put them in the car but they are too heavy to lift out.  Jack Farr will bring them in when he comes.  Daddy has been downstairs today but it has poured continuously so we won't let him go outside.

Sarah Jean is still here.  There are six of them upstairs – have been all afternoon – playing school and putting on plays.

Virginia and Jim want us to come up and spend a quiet New Years with them.  We haven't decided definitely but may go up on Friday & return Saturday.  Of course, if we don't go Bobby Brown will spend the night with us.

Mother has made a cherry pie and there's plenty for you if you're interested.  Cousin Maude came over for dinner and brought more than half of a custard pie.  She brought you and me a beautiful hand embroidered centerpiece which her mother had made and also a hooked-rug which she herself made.  It has very pretty colors in it and will look nice in our apartment.

Since I began writing this, the box from Florida has been unpacked.  It was full of huge oranges (Temples), grapefruit and kumquats.  There will still be plenty here when you come so I'll be looking forward to halving a grapefruit with you.  I do hope you don't have bad weather on your trip back but I'll be so anxious to see you.  Throckmorton is already plenty of company and getting more active every evening.  Mother and I are on our way to take him for a walk.  The family are doing their best to fill your place while you're gone.  You're always in my thoughts and I hope I'll soon be in your arms.

With all my heart & love,
"Snick"

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album