Monday, December 17, 2018

1978 Catherine's Letter -Dec.26

Tuesday afternoon
December 26, 1978
Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, and Mary,

Hi!  I was glad to get to talk to you yesterday and hear that you made it to Arizona OK.  There is a National Car Rental System both here in Madras and in Redmond.  I called the place here in Madras and tentatively reserved one for you on January 20-28.  There rates are 17$/day and 17¢ a mile.  I didn't know if perhaps you wouldn't need it until later or what?  At any rate you can let me know what you want to do.

Wendy is not doing too well.  She didn't feel good yesterday and today she seems to be worse.  She won't eat, she won't drink, and even if I hold her she still cries.  I am about to give her some more of the liquid aspirin and perhaps that will help.  We thought it was teething yesterday but today we are wondering if it is a reaction to her measles/mumps, rubella vaccine.  It is supposed to take 10-15 days for a reaction and she had the shot on the 14th.

I was wondering if you get to a bookstore if you could get me a book called "Dare to Discipline".  Wendy seems to be entering a difficult age and I need help!  Yesterday I was talking to Fred's daughter and she said that is a very good book.  She has a 14-year-old son and she also teaches elementary school.  She said the book covers children of all ages so I would appreciate it if you could find a copy and see if you think it is worth getting.

I meant to tell you on the phone but forgot – Gerry got a homemade ice cream maker (electric – 1/2 gallon size) from the Co-op for Christmas.  We were very pleased with that.  Last night we made strawberry frozen yogurt.  It uses ice cubes and regular table salt.  We'll have to try it while you are here!  Also if you get to a Pic & Save you could get me some stationery if they have some!  I realize that doesn't fit in with the rest of this paragraph but Wendy is sitting on my lap now and my mind seems to be wandering.  DeeDee just distracted her by playing with her toys but we can't seem to keep Wendy too interested in anything today  She's had quite a bit of excitement in the past few days!

Well, I'd like to get this off in the afternoon mail so I will close.  Mother, we look forward to seeing you real soon and I await your further instructions concerning the car.

Love, Catherine, Gerry, DeeDee & Wendy


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album