Monday, July 09, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -July 7

July 7, 1978
Dear Family,

Seems like this week has been especially busy.  Robbie & I had a good day in the city – as he says we went on a Walk-a-thon.  We did walk alot.

Drove to Dover – then took bus from there – it's much nicer than driving in – from Port of Authority we walked over to Fifth Avenue – up to Central Park – stopping by Rockefeller Center en route.  Then back over to 8th Avenue / 50th Street to see the play.  It was a good comedy – price was sure right for us.  After the play we walked down 7th Ave some – then took the subway down to get the Staten Island Ferry.  For 25¢ it's still a great bargain.  Rob seemed to enjoy the day ––  After the ferry ride we got on another subway – I thought we were getting off 23rd/6th – but it was 2nd Avenue – so we had a good walk to Chelsea – then back to Port of Authority.

As to lunch we ate at Mary Virginia's favorite place – TAD'S – for supper we bought ham & cheese at a deli –

Rob wants to go back to the city – he especially wants to see Wall Street.

Mesa Central called – yesterday – they had been trying to call since last Thursday after I talked to them & told them I would come back.  Mr. Vaughn said my voice had no smile in it – that he knew I didn't want to go back.  So he got on the case – did drop me as a county employee – but got me a 9 1/2 month contract w/ the school.  Which means I'll have to be back by 14 August if I take it.  I'm almost tempted to go back jobless & see what happens.  He said he had called here  7  times (Pay phone) & not once did I get the message!!!

I don't know whether it would be easier to get a job working – or not working.  But it sure isn't easy to look for work when you work full time.

Next week Rob, John & I plan to go in the city ––

Annie goes home Sunday – Sally's cousin – but she will still be coming up on weekends.

Breakfast time –––

What did you all do on 4th of July?

Love, 
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album