Friday, July 27, 2018

1968 Catherine's Letter -July 29

July 29, 1968
Dear Mom, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John, Mary, Cris, Grandma, and Granddad,

Hi!  today was our second mail stop and I was quite pleased to receive 13 letters.  Thanks for forwarding on all those that went to NV.  I got a letter from Joe.  He said he and Melissa had taken Cris up so I assume you are still living.  I almost called yesterday (Sunday) but I figured you had to take Serena to camp (?) so I called about 6:00.  Needless to say, no one was at home.  Then I was glad I had save the money because I figured I would get a letter, or at least a post card.  I guess I should have spent the money on the call 'cause there was nothing from any of you and I lost my change-holder with about $4.00 in it.  Nice, eh?  Now I'll probably have to cash a travelers check.

Right now I'm lying on a bed – a real luxury as the last two nights we spent at the Gunstock Recreation Area.  It was a very nice campground but it was also very cold and damp on the ground under the stars.  Next we spend 2 nights at a "tent area" near York Beach [Maine].

I must say I've made some wonderful friends.  We get 50¢ a piece for lunch now so Ardy and I buy yogurt usually.  We're both on diets so it works out well.  Altogether there are four of us on diets so we try to get lots of stuff like lettuce, tomatoes, celery, carrots, cucumbers, lo-cal dressing, bouillon cubes, etc.  The diet plus the exercise should bring results!

I've been reading quite alot 'cause by the time we get somewhere we are too tired, hot, cold, or too far away to do anything else.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you all at the next mailstop – at least a postcard.

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album