Sunday, July 08, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -July 4

July 4, 1978
7:30 AM
Cold & Rainy
Dear Family,

I'm staying – after much thought about it – I've decided it's worth it to have to go back knocking on doors again – in order to stay.  Besides I wasn't crazy about my job – and this way I'll be free & not waiting to get another job.

Seems I'm almost in semi-retirement up here this year – only have canteen open 2 1/4 hours a day – sometimes stay a little later in afternoon or evening though.  The new T-shirts are really selling – the blue much better than the orange.  Even have sold a few of the old styles.

Ann Bertram's [?] friends made it up here about 8:00 AM Sunday – they left at 9:30 PM Saturday night.  After breakfast they (w/Anne) left for NYC – then I guess they went back in last night.

On Sunday – it was overcast – but not rainy – Carol, Barry (John's YAF friend from Boston) and I went row boating at Tomahawk lake.  John had to work the office – then he worked the canteen for me.

Rob is getting along fine – the two of us plan to go to the city tomorrow – his 1st time – of course we have to go after he works out – but that's ok – we have it all planned out – Rob will go w/John when he leaves for school – the gym is on the way – they will go in Rob's car.  In the meantime I'll have the Volare fixed – then pick up Rob at the gym.  We will go by bus out of Dover –

Did I tell you that I went in the city w/Barb on Saturday – I showed her around Chelsea – Hudson Guild Centers, etc.  We did go to Radio City – saw a movie named Matilda – about a boxing champion – who is a Kangaroo.

Talked to Marion last night – she will be in Augusta, Ill the last two weeks of August –this way if I leave the farm a few days early – I can pick her & Buffie up then head West –

I.T. & her have been doing lots of sight seeing.  They are using her sisters in Idaho as a base – then going to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, etc.

What all do you hear from Catherine & Serena?  Gerry won't be the only one having to look for work –

I've got a cold – it's – hopefully – on its way out – have had it since last Thursday.

I'm in Room E –Marion & I.T's old room – the dining room girl is also in w/me – she is from Hamilton, Ohio – we Ohio people really do have a monopoly going.

Rob had all day yesterday free – due to the rain.  It was killing him though – because the gym was closed yesterday.  John & Barry went to Trenton yesterday morning – then the 2 of them were back by 1:30 – Barry left soon after.

Mary Virginia – send me details as to when you will be in – I'm sure glad its Allentown – both Marion & I.T. are flying in & out of Kennedy – of course at different days – please!  Bring the fan – though we sure don't need it now – w/ the weather we have – but it will get warmer – as the summer progresses.

Got to go –––

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album