Saturday, June 23, 2007

What I'm eating for breakfast this morning

I'm making pancakes this morning, although with a number of changes. Changing the sour cream to low-fat sour cream, leaving out the sugar and butter altogether. I'm also halving the recipe. I figure I'll freeze probably half the result. Oh, and I'm leaving out the berries. I like the berries, but usually get more pleasure out of eating my berries just straight with nothing else. I don't think I currently have any oat bran - will have to get some next time I'm at Sprouts - so will have to substitute wheat bran

Leaving out the butter does make pancakes rather dry, but I often dunk them in my coffee-milk mix. The sugar I don't really miss.

The ingredients are:

1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour
1/4 C. wheat germ
1/2 C. oat bran
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 T. brown sugar

1 1/2 C. low-fat milk
1/2 C. sour cream
2 eggs
2 T. melted butter
1 C. blueberries

The link to the recipe is in the title of this post - click on the title if you are interested in recipe and a fair amount of chit-chat about the recipe. The recipe is in a good food blog, although the most current blog entry is about cooking and music and what she listens to when she cooks. I'm gonna be listening to NBC Saturday Today show, then probably switching to CNN news.

Edit added later:

These pancakes are very easy to make and very, very filling. I'm not sure they are worthy of making into a mix though. Maybe if I try them with the oat bran . . . I've finished off the pancake mix I had originally made for M&D. I like to use mixes, not really because of the time they save - although they do save a relatively negligible amount of time. I like them because it is then pretty easy to make small amounts, like two pancakes, and you aren't plagued with leftovers that never quite taste as good.

As far as Catherine's comments - pancakes only take about 5 minutes to mix and a few more minutes to cook - probably less time than it takes to get takeout at a fast food restaurant.

I did, for a brief time, listen to NPR on the Internet, but then they played too much music and my attention wandered away. I should try it again, especially since on Saturday they have some of my favorite shows - like Wait, Wait . . . umm something, something (not the actual title) and some other sorta word oriented programming. Plus Click-Clack - I think that is the name of the car repair guys.

2 comments:

Catherine Uible Morgan said...

Wow, Serena! That sounds like a lot of work. Food can be worth the work though, I'm sure you would agree, or you wouldn't spend so much time on your bread/muffins/etc. You don't like to listen to NPR? I mostly listen to my books on CD with NPR and KOOL (oldies) FM as the backup. I have the first part of the foundation of my breakfast bowl -- 2 tablespoons of 9-grain [raw] hot cereal mix soaking in white tea as we just got back from our morning walk.

Roberta said...

SERENA.....anytime you want to make us pancakes.....how about tomorrow????

Items from Uible photo album