Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Mother's favorite sayings

There's no point in crying over spilt milk. (Although one time when Roberta dropped a full glass gallon of milk, there did seem to be a point to yelling about it.)

Six of one and half a dozen of another.

Little pitchers have big ears. (Although for years I thought it was "pictures" which didn't make much sense.)

Wait until your father gets home.

Get the yardstick. (if you were in trouble) Go outside and get a stick. (if you were in bigger trouble) Go outside and get a big stick. (if you were in BIG trouble)

If it was a snake it would have bitten you.

If I told you once, I told you a thousand times.

If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all.

No elbows.

Aunt Cora is alive in you. (in reference to anyone who just plopped into a chair)

No boarding house reach.

What do you say? or What is the magic word? (if you failed to say "please")

It is before the at. (When you said "where is it at?")

If I wanted you to just yell for your siblings, I could have done that myself.

I know you CAN, the question is whether you MAY.

Salt of the earth.

The problem with kittens is that they grow up to be cats.

Smile like you mean it.

5 comments:

Mary Uible Crowson said...

I guess I was the model child; I don't remember hearing any of these!! :D

Catherine Uible Morgan said...

Fools names and fools faces always appear in public places. [This seemed to apply mostly to people who wrote their names in wet concrete.] And I'm sure there was a saying about common sense or the lack thereof but I can't remember the exact wording.

Serena said...

Not enough sense to come in out of the rain.

Roberta said...

I could have written these myself.....unlike Mary Virginia the model child I heard them lots! Roberta the commenter

Mary Uible Crowson said...

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Items from Uible photo album