Saturday, June 02, 2018

1968 Catherine's Letter -May 18

5/18/68
Dear Mother, Dad, Serena, John Mary,

Hi!  How about this -- a real letter?  I figured I could get just as much on a postcard but then you all would miss the thrill of seeing my proposed four year program.  Of course, this is just tentative.  I figure if I can't go to Australia for two quarters, I would just as soon spend the two quarters on Career-Service.  Then, when I graduate I can go to Australia for as long as I want.  I would be going probably to Erlangen [Germany].

I got the letter yesterday from the Alumni along with your post card inside.  Yes, David is the one we almost went back and picked up.  It's probably a good thing we didn't – it might have scared him off.  Daddy and Grandma's description sounds fairly accurate – only he's not so quiet once you get to know him.  Actually, he is more the philosopher type – everything is well thought out.  I get overwhelmed just with the thought of how brilliant he is.  He probably finds my ignorance a challenge. 

The math test Thursday was pretty difficult and I probably lost my B average.  It was nice while it lasted!  If I got a B- or better I will be sure and let you all know via the first mail – I guess you better not expect to hear soon because the lower the grade the guiltier I will feel if I'm not studying more.  We decided that it isn't that students at Kalamazoo study more than those at other schools it's just that we feel guiltier about not studying.

Roberta sent me one of her pictures yesterday.  I thought they were pretty good.  We get ours retaken next Wednesday as the ones they took last quarter were all ruined.

I never did get anything from the Hostel this week even though Daddy said something about you all had forwarded something on.  Maybe he was referring to something else.

I went to the love-in last night. David didn't go 'cause he had to work on a English paper but he did come up to the open house afterwards.  Tonight we (I'm not sure who all that includes – Sarah, Bruce, John (Bruce's roommate), and I for sure) are going to Battle Creek to see John's girlfriend in a beauty contest.  I think John got 7 tickets so I suppose there are others going, too.

I got a letter from Elaine Harner this morning and she has some ridiculously low number of days of school left.  We only have three full weeks plus exams.  It is really going to be sad though since we'll all be so far apart.  Oh, well, there is always the U.S. Mail.

You can get more on the cards with that new typewriter.  Roberta said she got a typewriter (which you already told me, I think) and new stationery in addition to some other stuff.  But the letter I got from her was written out on notebook paper.  She was probably writing it in class.

Yesterday I increased my running time to 13 minutes, and made it almost 1.5 miles I sure hope I can improve over that.  I enjoy going down to watch the track team so I don't really mind the running.  Today is the last tract meet though so they won't be practicing any more.

Thanks for sending the stamps – they are always appreciated!

Late mail just came – I got a letter from G'ma.

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album