Friday, November 10, 2017

1967 Catherine's Letter -Nov.8

November 8, 1967
Dear Mother, Daddy, Serena, John, and Mary,

Hi!  NOTICE!  This is a letter.

Received your letter today.  I really appreciate it but this morning it was rather anticlimactic!  First of all I went to physics class where I saw Evan, whom I had not seen for two days.  To make things worse when I had last seen him two days ago I asked him to the girl-bid and I think I shocked the poor boy so much that he just said something like he wasn't sure.  Talk about definite answers . . . .  Anyway, after I worried myself sick for two days over whether he really hated me or just didn't want to go to the dance, I asked him this morning if he had made up his mind.  His reply was something like, "Well, why wouldn't I?"  Boys!  At one point I was feeling so frustrated I almost asked Charley!  At least now I know Evan is going and I can go spend the $3 for the ticket.

After such an exciting physics class, I had two hours of art to look forward too.  Ugh!  When we all assembled in the class room it was discovered that dear Miss Wood was unable to make it today and so after seeing a 20 minute film we were dismissed one hour and 40 minutes early.  Halleluyah!

I haven't tried the dress on but I'm sure it fits fine.  It really is a beautiful dress!

Too bad about Mrs. Hughes and Tim.  I haven't heard from Weeg for about two weeks or so.

The snow here is still on the ground – all 12 inches – or however much there is.  The highest temperature in the last four days has been 33º.

I still have one tomato left which refuses to ripen up.  The tomatoes were alot more popular than the apples.  Alice (across the hall, from Texas) likes tomatoes so much I practically had to hide them to keep her from eating them all at once.

I finally had to break down and buy some more solution stuff for my contacts and also some tooth paste.  (Yeah Ultrabright!)  I opened the saving account at the First National Bank and Trust Company – grand total of $32.57.  The interest is figured quarterly.  I get two free withdrawals each month and 25¢ for each additional one.  If I close the account within 60 days of the first deposit there is a charge of 50¢.  People at the bank were very nice – friendly atmosphere like NV.  How is the NV bank coming?

So I won't forget what it is like living in a place like New Vienna, I am now reading The Story of a Country Town by E.W. Howe.  I took it out of the Kalamazoo Public Library so I can get full use of that library card.

How were the elections in New Vienna?  Anything exciting?  I haven't heard how they came out here but there were somewhere between 11-14 people running for the eight-man city commission.

I gave up studying for the chemistry test.  I figured if I don't know anything about chemistry I might as well find it out now and take chemistry during the winter quarter if I have to.

Math class is still plodding along.  Dr. Bausch thinks we are all mental retards or something.  However, when he gives a test he changes his psychology and asks us to do very difficult things and thus we prove his theory about how dumb we really are.

This morning I didn't get up until 4:45 as I didn't have too much art to do and there is always physics!

Yesterday afternoon I had a date with this guy who was going to "explain" the physics lab stuff to me.  It turned out he knew less than I did which wasn't too helpful!  At least he thought he was enlightening me!

Time for lunch.  I like lunch but it has unpleasant associations as it is followed immediately by PE.

Love, Catherine

P.S.  I finally got a pillow yesterday – felt kind of good after sleeping for 6 weeks without one!  We also had a new mirror hung up and I am being extremely careful not to break it as I figure an average of two a quarter is bad enough.  It's a good thing I'm not superstitious!

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album