Wednesday, June 25, 2014

1984 Catherine Letter -Jun23

June 23, 1984
Dear Mother, Dad & anyone else who reads this,

Hi!  Well this is the big day for Wendy the traveler.  She told me she "didn't want to see any tears at the airport."  I don't know who she thinks is going to cry – me or her.

Besides the arrival of DeeDee (date not yet set) the other two events that Wendy is involved in this summer are swimming lessons and day camp.  

They have a very nice swimming pool here.  We paid $30.00 for a family season pass and then she gets her lessons free.  I signed up for a two week pool exercise class which started last Monday.  It was rained out two days though.  Wendy's lessons will start July 9.

Day Camp is sponsered [sic] by the county for 1st-4th graders.  They bus the kids from Colfax & Pullman to Klemgard State Park for three days.  The fourth day they stay overnight at Kamiak Butte Park.  This takes place July 23-27.

I have been taking exercise classes at a workout center near our house.  I'm trying to take advantage of the extra time I have this summer to do some things I've been wanting to do.  The workout center also has a jacuzzi and a locker room with showers which is nice since we only have a bath tub at home.

We found out our house recently got a new foundation so hopefully it is stable now. (It's built on a slope.)  We hope the cracks in the walls and the crookedness of the door frames doesn't get any worse!  It does have aluminum siding & storm windows.  The owners live somewhere near Seattle.  They are asking $28,000 for it.

Joke from Wendy:  
  • Knock Knock
  • Who's there?
  • Daryl
  • Daryl who?
  • Daryl never be nicer grandparents than you
It is a nice sunny day here after 3 days of clouds and rain.  Have you had alot of rain?  The green hills of the Palouse country around Colfax are nice to look at after all the sagebrush of central Oregon.  The main crops here are wheat, lentils, barley, garbanzo beans.

I have been to the library in Pullman twice.  I hope to go a few more times.  I figure being familiar with the place might help me during the job interview.  I have also been studying some books on children's services, books, etc.  There is a real good one Mother might be interested in called This Way to Books by Bauer.  I think it is an expensive book so I don't know how easily available it is.  I borrowed it from the "office collection" of the Whitman County Library in Colfax.

We are in Spokane now [where Wendy caught the plane to Ohio] so I better close.  We'll talk to you tonight!

Love, Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album